Not only does a clean home look nicer and make you feel better, but it can also increase the value of your property. While all the basic cleaning most people do regularly is important, there are some other areas that you might not think to clean that can make a big difference in the value of your home. Some cleaning tasks may seem daunting, but there are plenty of tips and tricks that can help make the process easier and less time-consuming.
How Does Cleaning Impact The Value Of Your Home?
A well-maintained home, inside and out, will last longer and will often sell for a higher price than a comparable home that has not been as well cared for. If you plan on selling your home in the future, keeping it clean now could increase its value when you are ready to put it on the market and prevent you from having to conquer a huge to-do list when the time comes to list it. Even if you don't plan to sell, keeping your home clean and maintained will prevent any major repairs due to neglect.
Gutter Cleaning Tips
Gutters that are full of leaves or other debris can cause water to back up and potentially damage your roof. But what are the best tips for cleaning gutters?
- Get some help: Cleaning your gutters will be much easier and safer if you have someone to help. Even if they just hold the ladder and hand you items, it'll help the job go by a lot faster and save you a lot of time climbing up and down the ladder.
- Use a bucket or tarp: If cleaning the gutters by hand, you'll want somewhere to put the debris, or you'll have to rake it all up later. Bring a bucket with you, or place a tarp below you, to catch debris and make clean-up much easier.
- Use water: A powerful hose can really help move debris, especially as the last step for any remaining small pieces that are hard to pick out by hand.
- Have the right tools: If there's an area you can't access easily, there are special, long-poled gutter cleaning tools made to help.
Roof Cleaning Tips
Like gutters, a dirty roof can lead to water damage and other problems. It'll also allow you to spot and fix any small problems before they escalate and turn into costly repairs.
- Watch the weather: Schedule your roof cleaning day on a day where you can have some help and on a day that's cloudy because being up on a roof for hours can get extremely hot, even on a cool sunny day.
- High-pressure hose: Using a hose with a high-pressure nozzle can blast off much of the debris on your roof and do most of the work for you. A pressure washer might be tempting, but it could be a little too powerful for some roofs, so take that into consideration before using one.
- Do an inspection: While you're up there, take a walk around your roof and look for any problem areas so you can fix them now or keep an eye on them in the future.
Concrete Cleaning Tips
Your home's exterior concrete can also benefit from regular cleaning. Here are some tips to get your sidewalks and driveway looking great:
- Pressure wash: If you have access to a pressure washer, this is the most effective way to clean concrete, especially if there's a good amount of buildup.
- Use a stiff brush: If you don't have access to a pressure washer, you can still clean your concrete with a good old-fashioned stiff broom, hose, and some elbow grease.
- Add some soap: Adding soap will help loosen any debris that's stuck on tight, so you don't have to scrub quite so hard, and you'll get better results.
Window Washing Tips
Did you know that if you don't clean your windows regularly, they can actually become etched and permanently damaged? Not only will clean windows help improve the look of your home from the outside, they will also let more light in and make your home feel brighter and more welcoming.
- Use the right supplies: You'll want to use a squeegee and a bucket of soapy water for best results. You might also want to invest in a good window cleaning solution.
- Wipe from top to bottom: Start at the top of the window and work your way down so you don't accidentally smear any dirt or cleaner.
- Do a final wipe: Once you've gone over the whole window with your squeegee, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe away any streaks or residue.
Cleaning your home regularly is important not just for your comfort but to maintain your home and prevent any major repairs. By following these essential cleaning tips, you can keep your home in tip-top shape.