It's no secret that many older homes come with their fair share of safety hazards. From outdated electrical wiring to faulty furnaces, these problems can often go undetected for years before finally causing an accident or even death. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association reports, fires caused by home appliances kill around 5,000 people in the United States almost every year.
Another significant risk is radon, a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced naturally when uranium decomposes in the ground. Radon can seep into old homes through cracks in the foundation and has been linked to lung cancer. The EPA estimates that radon is probably responsible for 21,000 lung cancer deaths yearly.
That's why homeowners need to be aware of these dangers and take steps to mitigate them as much as possible. Some of the most effective ways to do this are pretty simple and inexpensive, so there's no excuse not to implement them in your home.
Table of Contents
If you have any old appliances sitting around your home, it's time to get rid of them. Not only are they a huge fire hazard, but they can also be a trip and fall hazard if they're not adequately secured. If you can't bear to part with most of them, ensure they're unplugged and out of the way where nobody will accidentally bump into them.
Fire hazards aren't the only reason to get rid of old appliances. Many are also huge energy wasters, so getting rid of them can save you money on your energy bills.
If you live in a certain area with high radon levels, it's essential to have your home regularly tested for gas. Measuring radon levels with test kits is inexpensive and easy, so there's no excuse not to do it. Suppose you find that your home does have elevated levels of radon. In that case, there are many ways to mitigate the problem, such as sealing cracks in the foundation and installing a radon mitigation system.
Suppose you find that your home has elevated levels of radon. In that case, it's important to mitigate the problem immediately.
Suppose your home or flat was built sometime in the mid-1950s. In that case, there's a good chance that the electrical wiring is outdated and potentially dangerous. Have a proper electrician come out and inspect your wiring to ensure it's up to code and replace any old or damaged wiring. This is one of those things that's worth spending the money on to avoid a potential disaster down the road.
Carbon monoxide is another colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, so it can be challenging to detect without a proper detector. This gas can be produced by several common household appliances, such as furnaces, water heaters, and fireplaces. Having a detector in every room where one of these appliances is present is important.
Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and easy to install, so there's no excuse not to have them in your home.
Flammable materials like paper, cloth, and chemicals should always be kept away from heat sources like stoves, ovens, and open flames. Ensure these materials are stored in a cool, dry place, and always keep an eye on them when using heat sources in your home.
Your furnace is one of the most important appliances in your home, so it's important to inspect it quite regularly to make sure it's in good working condition. Have a proper professional come out and inspect your furnace at least once a year to make sure everything is in decent order.
Overloading your electrical outlets too much can lead to a fire, so it's important to avoid doing it. Only use one appliance or piece of equipment per outlet, and don't plug anything else in until the first one is unplugged. If you have too many appliances that need to be plugged in, consider installing additional outlets.
If you have a fireplace, keeping the chimney clean is important to prevent a fire from starting. Have a chimney service come out and inspect your chimney at least once a year and sweep it if necessary.
Old chimneys are especially prone to fires, so it's important to have them inspected regularly.
Smoke and fire detectors and sensors are one of your home's most important safety devices. It's important to test them regularly to ensure they're working properly. The best way to test them are good is to use an actual smoke source, such as a piece of burning paper or a candle. Hold the smoke source near the detector and wait for the alarm to sound.
If you don't have a proper smoke detector in your home, now is the time to get one. They're relatively inexpensive and could save your life in the event of a fire.
A reliable home security system can give you peace of mind knowing that your home is protected from burglars and other intruders. Many different security systems are available, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
Installing a proper home security system is one of the best things you can do to keep your home safe.
Some of these tips might seem like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people don't follow them. By taking these really simple precautions, you can significantly reduce the risk of a fire in your home.
Keep these simple tips in mind and make sure your home is as safe as possible. And remember, if a fire does break out in your home, don't try to fight it yourself.
Home fires are devastating and can happen to anyone. But by taking some simple precautions, you can significantly reduce the risk of one happening in your home. Keep these tips in mind and ensure your home is as safe as possible.